EDITORS NOTE: These predictions were made in April 2011 and reflect what my thinking was at that time. I have updated my predictions since then, but leave these on the blog for a historical record. For the most updated list of predictions, go to the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog.
I have updated the rankings for the 84th Oscar Animated Feature race, trying to take into account what I know about release dates and special rules regarding motion capture and hybrid live action films. If anyone has any additional information about these, or information about animated features being released in other languages or countries, I’d love to hear about them!
Here are today’s rankings, with previous ranking shown in parenthesis after each entry.
1. Gore Verbinski for Rango (Predicted Winner) (previous rank 1)
2. Antoine Delesvaux and Joann Sfar for The Rabbi’s Cat (Le Chat Du Rabbin) (previous rank 2)
3. Tono Errando, Javier Mariscal and Fernando Trueba for Chico & Rita (previous rank 3)
4. Carlos Saldanha for Rio (previous rank 4)
5. Stephen J. Anderson and Don Hall for Winnie The Pooh (previous rank 5)
6. Antoine Charreyron for The Prodigies (La Nuit Des Enfants Rois) (previous rank 7)
7. Jennifer Yuh for Kung Fu Panda 2: The Kaboom Of Doom (previous rank 8)
8. Yoshimi Itazu and Satoshi Kon for The Dreaming Machine (Yomemiru Kikai) (previous rank 9)
9. John Lasseter and Brad Lewis for Cars 2 (previous rank 10)
10. Jonathan Demme for Zeitoun (previous rank 11)
11. Jacques-Remy Girerd for Mia And The Migoo (Mia Et Le Migou) (New)
12. Michel Ocelot for Tales Of The Night (Les Contes De La Nuit) (previous rank 12)
13. George Miller for Happy Feet 2 (previous rank 13)
14. Chris Miller for Puss In Boots (previous rank 14)
15. Deryck Broom and Roger Hawkins for The Lion Of Judah (New)
16. Ben Stassen for Sammy’s Adventures: A Turtle’s Tale (Sammy’s Avonturen: De Geheime Doorgang) (New)
17. Mike Disa for Hoodwinked Too!: Hood Vs. Evil (previous rank 16)
18. Sarah Smith and Barry Cook for Arthur Christmas (previous rank 18)
19. Mike Mitchell for Alvin And The Chipmunks 3: Chip-Wrecked (possibly ineligible due to Hybrid Live Action) (previous rank 19)
20. Kelly Asbury for Gnomeo And Juliet (previous rank 22)
21. Richard Goldgewicht for Pablo (New)
22. Robert Rhodin for 1000 Nights (New)
23. Bruce Beresford for Banking On Mr. Toad (New)
24. Bibo Bergeron for A Monster In Paris (Un Monstre A Paris) (New)
25. David Fincher for The Goon (previous rank 15)
26. Tinkerbell (previous rank 20)
27. Luis C. Suarez for RPG Metanoia (previous rank 17)
28. Simon Wells for Mars Needs Moms (possibly ineligible due to Motion Capture) (previous rank 21)
29. Tim Hill for Hop (possibly ineligible due to Hybrid Live Action) (previous rank 23)
30. Raja Gosnell for The Smurfs (possibly ineligible due to Hybrid Live Action) (previous rank 24)
31. Steven Sielberg for The Adventures Of Tintin (Likely Ineligible due to Motion Capture) (previous rank 6)
32. Sam Liu and Lauren Montgomery for Batman: Year One (Likely Ineligible due to Release Format) (New)
As always, check the Tracker Pages in the upper right hand corner of this blog for the most updated predictions in all categories!
See Animated Feature predictions for other years HERE.
If you’re really into animation, check out the Animated Shorts also.
See predictions for other categories at the 84th Oscars HERE.
Switch to another year: 84th, 85th, 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th
Read My Recent Reviews. Or Read Archived Reviews. Connect With Me On: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Email, The LAMB
See My Oscar Predictions By Year: 84th, 85th, 86th, 87th, 88th, 89th Or Search By Category Using The Tracker Pages.